At Check4Cancer we are keen that you have as many facts as possible before taking a decision to have early detection of cancer services. We hope that you will find the information below useful.
- Cancer screening may give you an indication of cancer before any symptoms develop.
- Cancer screening may find cancer at an early stage when treatment is more likely to be curative.
- If cancer is diagnosed at an earlier stage, treatment is more likely to be successful.
- Cancer screening can miss a number of cancers and provide false reassurance: no cancer screening test is 100% accurate.
- Cancer screening can lead to unnecessary worry and investigations when there is no cancer present.
- A positive screening result may cause anxiety by diagnosing a slow-growing tumour that may never cause any harm or symptoms.